Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Wednesday March 25, 2015 Psalm 118:24

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118: 24 (KJV)

I’m not a morning person.  I confirmed this a while back when I no longer had a child to get up or a time clock to punch.  I stay up late, and sleep late — when I can. So I am no longer out on the road at what most people would call a “decent hour”. Sundays are the exception.  I like the early service (I know it’s not the crack of dawn, but it’s early for me). And so on the way to church I can marvel at the early sun – especially in the winter when I drive into the rising sun on the way from Pine Island to Warwick.   Well, one spectacular morning I drove down our road, struck by the beauty of late winter, and found myself saying the above verse.  And the next couple of Sunday mornings I did the same. Until a dreary, yucky day came, and I consciously thought “Well, so much for a day to rejoice!”… and it belatedly struck me: oh, I guess God made this day, too.  And maybe I should still “rejoice”. So I made it my habit, not just on early mornings, but most of the time when I leave my home to go down my road and out into the “world”, to recite that to myself. Just an extra little prayer to send me on my way. On a good day, or a bad day, a happy day or sad, beautiful or yucky – it’s the day the Lord has made.

Actually, in the context of the Psalm, this short verse isn’t about creation or beauty, it’s about victory in battle, and in other translations it’s clear (the NIV says “The Lord has done it this very day!”).  And that’s good, too. Because just a few words later verse 26 says: “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord”.  And as Palm Sunday approaches, we can hear the echo of the people shouting that verse as Jesus entered into Jerusalem. The Gospels proclaim HOSANNA!-- Marilyn McCarter
Prayer for today: God of all creation, we love You and offer thanks for this new day which You have given us. Help us use it wisely in a way that is pleasing to You. Lead us to greet whatever comes our way with a joyful heart as a witness to the many blessings You shower on us through Christ Jesus in whose name we pray. AMEN!
Confession for Today: I am blessed by God in countless ways. Today I will pause to notice the beauty of His creation around me and give thanks to the Creator. I am able to stand in awe and thanksgiving regardless of the circumstances in which I find myself. I declare this by faith in Jesus. AMEN!

No comments: