Saturday, March 7, 2015

Saturday March 7, 2015 John 17:26 & Romans 8:26

“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. (John 17:20 NLT)
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. (Romans 8:26 NLT)
Though these two passages are not found together in the Bible I put them together here as favorites because to me they are so complimentary. I have always loved first passage because although scripture tells us that Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us, these are his very words in prayer spoken for me (and you!) personally. I find it both comforting and overwhelming simultaneously to know Jesus offered a prayer for me during His time on earth and continues to do so even now.  The second is also a great comfort for me because there are many times when either I don't know what to pray for in a situation or just don't have the words to express or articulate the need. This passage assures me that even if I am spiritually tongue tied, the Holy Spirit will be praying for me. I have fallen back on this many times over the years. Taken together, these two verses offer me great confidence knowing that although I may be weak, I have an amazing team working to support me in the heavenly realm. Hallelujah!
Prayer for today: Father God, we love You and are so grateful that through Christ we have access to You in prayer. We give thanks that You have provided support in our weakness by the intercession of the Spirit and the Son. Help us, we pray, to intercede for others and stand in the gap when they need our prayer support. We ask in Jesus' name. AMEN!
Confession for today: I confess that though I may feel weak and uncertain in my prayers, You still call me to pray without ceasing and support me by the intercessions of the Spirit and the Son. With such support as this I approach with confidence Your throne of grace and mercy. I make this confession by faith in Jesus Christ. AMEN!

No comments: