Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Wednesday March 11, 2015 Psalm 46:10

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” --Psalm 46:10

Although the bulk of this Psalm is in third person, in this verse, the voice of God is loud and clear. In our over-scheduled, cacophonous society we rarely have the inclination or ability to simply be still and let God move. If we are frantic, pushing and shoving our way in the world; we cannot hear the still small voice of God or relax and let his will be done.  It takes patience and practice to embrace the silence and listen. Are you willing?

Perhaps this comes from my Quaker upbringing, but I find that people talk too much and listen too little, whether to God, their own hearts or to others. --Beverly Robertson

Prayer for today: Almighty and all powerful God, we love You and bow before You humbly this day. Help us, we pray, to still ourselves, body, mind and spirit that we might somehow take in the magnificence of all that You are. Remind us, in that quiet space, of Whom we are serving. We ask in the name of Jesus, whom scripture tells us often withdrew to a quiet place to be with You. AMEN!
Confession for today: I confess that in quiet, with an open heart, I am best able to seek The Lord my God. I will make time to step back in quiet humility to seek The One Jesus died to reconcile me to. I declare this by faith in His name. AMEN!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

A favorite of mine as well! In fact I have a ring with the words Be Still and Know inscribed. I think I need to dig that one out.
“So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. (‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭11‬:‭18‬ NLT)

Anonymous said...

That is the one, Tracy!

Beverly's message reminds us to "go to our tents" verse that accompanies Deuteronomy 11:18.

One of the things to encourage this practice is to have a quiet place in your home to go to for prayer. It may be a room, an attic stairs or a closet.

When in public, one way to block out distractions is to close your eyes.

-Tim G.