Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tuesday March 10, 2015 John 16:33

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NIV)

The promise of trouble or trials or tribulation in this world is the promise no one wants to claim, but it is comforting to have Jesus Himself acknowledge trouble as "normal" for life in this world. It makes me realize that the difficulties we face are not some sort of punishment or sign of God's displeasure in me, but rather just the state of being for this broken world that is our temporary home. Jesus tells us that we can still have peace, HIS peace despite the tumult around us. And praise be to God, that's not the end of the story! Not at all...for Jesus has overcome this world already. So through Him, we as His followers are assured of final victory over whatever we may be facing in this life, as well as joyous welcome into the next, where we will meet Him face to face.

Prayer for today: Father God, we love you and are so grateful for Jesus victory over this world and all it's troubles. Thank you for the knowledge that Jesus has already won the battle for us. Because of that, please help us to experience peace even in the midst of the troubles of this world knowing it is not our home, but only a prelude to our eternal home with You. Help us to share this Good News with those around us that they too could know You and taste Your peace. We ask in Jesus' name. AMEN!
Confession for today: I confess that because of Christ's victory over this world, I can be at peace no matter how difficult my circumstances. I declare this by faith in Jesus. AMEN!

1 comment:

powfam6 said...

This world truly is lost and I have found it so comforting in my life to take heart and remember that Jesus has overcome the world!

I agree with you that our troubles and hardships by no means indicate that we are suffering punishment from God. In my recent struggles, I have been reminded of Hebrews 12:7 "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children." We can endure hardship and know that God is treating us as children He loves in order to discipline us - not the kind of discipline that we consider in the same category as punishment, but the kind that relates to training. We endure hardship and he grows us. We become stronger in our faith and deepen our character. While it may not feel like peaches and cream at the time, we come through the other side as much more faithful children. How wonderful to think that He cares for us that much to treat us as His children and offer training through hardships that result in our own personal growth, which in turn results in us glorifying Him even more.

Romans 8:18: I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us!