Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday March 8, 2015 Ecclesiastes 4:9

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 NIV)

 I love this scripture so much that I chose it for my wedding twenty some years ago. To my surprise, my pastor told me he had never used it at a wedding. As a young wide eyed bride I was so focused on the two in the passage that until I heard the message I overlooked the last line that talks about a three strand cord. Where did the three suddenly come from? The third strand in the cord, my pastor told us was God. Without God in the equation, the third strand, our marriage would be difficult at best and never as strong as God designed it to be. I still love this passage all these years later  because it speaks of the importance of being in community, not just in a marriage relationship but in our Christian walk. As an introvert, my natural tendency is to go it alone most often. But this passage points out how important it is to have others on our team in this life and especially in our Christian journey. Soul friends are so dear and when the third cord, God, is the basis for our friendship, how strong and powerful we can be!
Prayer for today: Loving God, how awesome it is to be braided together with You and others who love You. Help us Lord to work together with You to accomplish so much more than any of us can accomplish as individuals. Strengthen our fellowship with other believers by keeping Yourself at the center. I ask in the name of Jesus. AMEN!
Confession for today: I confess that I am working to include You Lord in all my relationships. I will help my friends when they fall and expect the same when I fall knowing You will bind us together and it is Your will for us to strengthen and uphold each other. I declare this by faith in Jesus. AMEN!

No comments: