Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday April 7, 2014 Matthew 6:22,23

Matthew 6:22, 23 NASB)
"The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!

Eyes.

God gave us eyes to see, to show and to reflect.
The first glance into the soul of a person is the eyes. Eyes reflect and transcend the words or lack thereof and communicate the conscious mind, the attitude or even the state of the spirit of a person. Eyes can help discern the light and darkness of the situation or a person. The Holy Spirit is able to be our eyes and it is up to us to yield our eyes to Him for His purpose and will. 
The more I yield to the Light and die to myself, brighter the Light shines through my eyes. The sooner I confess my sin, my weakness to desire earthly wealth, my failures, my troubles, my concerns in this world, the sooner my eye sight (of my spirit) is restored and healed. His Word enables my eyes to see from His perspective. 

There is abundance in Jesus. God is rich, and when God gives, He gives plentifully just as there were twelve baskets left over. But it started with a simple obedience to yielding and giving all the disciples found in His followers. As soon as Jesus lifted the basket and gave thanks, it kept coming! I may have little to offer as far as wealth compared to those who are wealthy here on earth, but whatever I give whole-heartedly with thanksgiving, He honors and He multiplies. Sarah was barren, so was Hannah, but as they believed in God's promise, they received the ability to conceive. Simon was tired and exhausted from trying to catch fish, but when Jesus spoke to him and led him out to the place where Jesus said to go, Simon caught fish in the presence of Jesus in the boat more than he can handle to the point the net would tear!  He witnessed the power of the Word of Jesus in abundance. Then he followed Jesus to catch men (Luke 5:4-10).

I must turn my eyes to see Jesus, and wherever He chooses, to be His instrument and reflection of the Light and show that He is alive! He supplies us with everything we need, and He is able to do immeasurably more than we can imagine or ask for according to His riches of Glory. He rewards those who believe and seek Him.

  Ephesians 1:18 NASB
 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope       of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
 Ephesians 3:16 NASB
that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man.
Colossians 1:27 NASB
to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Kathy Carpentier

1 comment:

Unknown said...

During our United Methodist Volunteer in Mission Trips to Mozambique we had a tradition of sharing devotions with our Mozambican Methodist hosts. Scripture, singing, a message or a few made for lively sharing of our faith. I was most moved by sharing when we would see Christ in others. Sometimes we would lift up one another, but my eyes were really opened as we talked about seeing Christ in many people outside our close groups, even outside the faith community. Christ shows himself through so many people's actions that we may not see if we were not looking.

Birders can see many kinds of birds in your neighborhood. They live there. But if you are not looking, you will never recognize them.

We need to sharpen the eyes that God has gifted so that we can serve him with gratitude and vision for serving God.
Peace