Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Tuesday December 13 Trust and See

Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. And I know his commands lead to eternal life” John 44-50 NLT

"For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me." I wonder if it would be easier to believe we were looking on the face of God if we were looking on the actual in-person face of Jesus? First thought would be "Yes" there must have been an air about him that was impossible to miss. Yet clearly many missed it. If we can believe without physically seeing, how could they have missed it? But then again, if we had seen the helpless baby born to a young couple in a lowly stable would any of us NOT struggle to "see" God there? Perhaps that is why Jesus, speaking to Thomas after His resurrection, said "Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”John 20:24-29 NLT. That's us friends! We are those ones whom Jesus calls blessed. None of us have actually seen Jesus and yet we believe. Perhaps it is because those images are not burned into our consciousness, but only into our imagination. Those images of a baby in a stable, or a young boy working beside his father with the simple tools of his carpentry trade. Those  unlikely images that would make believing a challenge even despite the miracles. So though we cannot see with our physical eyes, we can trust that His word is true and we are told in this scripture passage that all who put their trust in Jesus will not remain in darkness. Yesterday we talked about being trapped in darkness and today, we have yet another promise, directly from Jesus' mouth, that when we put our trust in Him he will not allow us to remain in the dark, but will shine His light into our darkness illuminating all things so that we will indeed see God all around us. Even in the most unlikely places. Even in our own time and place. Trust and see! And know beyond doubt that when you see the Son, you are seeing the Father who sent Him because of His amazing love for you!

Prayer
Gracious God we are thankful for the gift of faith, that we can trust you and claim Your promise to take us from darkness into light... to illuminate all of our world with a heavenly light that the eyes of our heart can see. Lord please increase that gift of faith and trust in each of us today that we would see You clearly at work in our world. We ask in the name of Jesus,  who spoke the promise and who is the promise. AMEN!

No comments: